Here are some simple things that you can do during Mental Health Awareness Month that will help to educate yourself and/or others:
- Attend a seminar on mental illness to get better informed on the topic in general
- Connect with close family or friends that struggle with mental illness, showing your support
- Post on social media to either educate others or advocate for those diagnosed with mental illness
- Talk: Talk to senators, talk to your local mental health professionals, talk to your family, talk to your students, talk to your neighbors, talk to individuals that have been diagnosed with mental illness, talk to your coworkers... the more we talk about mental illness, the more we normalize it!
- Volunteer in the community
- Participate in awareness events, such as speak outs or 5ks
- Challenge your own biases by researching and reflecting on mental health issues that tend to confuse you or strike a cord with you
There are many ways to get involved! The choice is yours.